The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) confirmed in late 2016 that corrosion in underground storage tank (UST) systems storing ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) is a widespread problem in the U.S. But the EPA report also gives recommendations and advice.
Among the suggestions are steps for tank owners to find and resolve ULSD related corrosion:
- Implementing enhanced maintenance to detect and remove water.
- Using additives to inhibit corrosion and biocides or other treatments to kill or disrupt microbial colonies.
- Visually inspecting fuel filters and inside UST system access points for symptoms of corrosion.
- Contacting “UST” service companies to further evaluate the extent of corrosion inside tanks.
- When corrosion is found, conducting more testing to determine the extent and potential impact of the corrosion.
- Repairing and replacing equipment as necessary to ensure proper functionality.